Thursday, August 1, 2013

So Technical - How We Chose Our Clinic

I said a little while ago that I'd start writing more technical posts about IVF and the process so far. I'm incredibly lazy so I haven't gotten around to it, but I'm biting the bullet and writing it today. Here goes..

First I'll tell you how I narrowed down our clinic of choice:

I searched through pages and pages of the Czech Mates posts on the Inspire forums. This is how I first came to hear about IVF abroad. I'd never realized that this was an option. Most of these women go to a clinic in Zlin, Czech Republic for Donor Egg IVF. This didn't apply to me, so I kept Zlin in mind but continued my search. I also noticed some women referencing Fertility Friends and their forums about IVF abroad as well. I read through all of the information I could get my hands on. On FF, I saw more women doing Own Egg IVF and starting snooping around to see which clinics they went to.

Finally, I made a spreadsheet of all potential IVF clinics in Czech. I sorted them by city, success rates, price, services provided, and anything extra that they might do. I narrowed it down to 4 clinics: Reprogenesis, Reprofit, Zlin's Center for Reproductive Medicine, and Gennett. I emailed all of them. (I actually emailed about 10 different clinics, but I'll focus on these 4).

Zlin's replies were fairly quick, but I had a difficult time communicating with coordinator. English was obviously not her first language and, as I like to ask about 1 billion questions, I thought that communication should be key. I also didn't love that Zlin was in the middle of nowhere (think rolling hillside country). If we wanted to do any day trips and get out of our hotel room, we'd have to hop on a bus, taxi, or train and drive about an hour.

Gennet's responses were good, but ended up being quite a bit more expensive than the others. See, all of the clinics asked for basic blood work - FSH, LH, Estradiol, Prolactin, TSH, and sometimes AMH. But Gennett wanted me to have an EKG done and a bunch of other blood work (in preparation for the anesthesia) that would have undoubtedly cost an arm and a leg. Plus, I didn't want to look for a doctor to do all these tests and have to explain why I needed them. Even though they were in Prague and it would've been awesome to stay in that city, it would've been too expensive, so they were out.

Reprofit responded quickly and their replies were easy to understand. I sent them my information (past blood work, IUI results, HSG tests, sperm analysis, etc) and started down the path with them. But I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from their coordinator, and the doctor I was emailing kept missing several questions I would ask. So I put them on the shelf for a bit.

Then there was Reprogenesis. From the get go, they were wonderful. Every single question I asked would be answered the next morning in complete detail. I sent them my information as well and we had a Skype consultation with their doctor. He was great and we had a very good feeling about them.

We narrowed it down to Reprogenesis and Reprofit - they were identically priced with ReproG being slightly more expensive. This was because ReproG used the Embryoscope which added about $800 extra. I did some research and came to the conclusion that the Embryoscope was mainly beneficial for women who had low quality eggs (generally over 35 or DOR) and that didn't apply to me.

So having shaved off that $800 from the cost, we realized that we really preferred ReproG after all. And that's how we chose our clinic.  :)

7 comments:

  1. A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.
    fertility clinic colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.
    Do you still have your contact info at Reprogenesis? I'm not happy with mine and would like to try yours.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear andshewaits

    I am a Danish girl, 29 years old, I am studying tourism, and have to write my master thesis, which I hope to do about fertility tourism.

    However, this depends on if I find any respondents, which is a bit difficult in this field. Therefore, Ive been looking at blogs as a way to find contacts and I hope you will be one of them.

    I aim to create a better understanding for the process of the fertility travel and what this contains emotional as practical (broad explained).

    Thus, it would be wonderful to have a skype interview with you, and hopefully also your wife, about your abroad fertility treatment experience. It will take about 1 hour of your life;) Naturally I will make it fit to your everyday life.

    The interview will first be later on this year because I have to do some pre-work first. But if you will state if you and your wife will like to participate already now, it would be wonderful.

    I hope deeply to hear back from you,

    All best Ida Brämer (Contact: Ida_heskjaer@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear andshewaits

    I am a Danish girl, 29 years old, I am studying tourism, and have to write my master thesis, which I hope to do about fertility tourism.

    However, this depends on if I find any respondents, which is a bit difficult in this field. Therefore, Ive been looking at blogs as a way to find contacts and I hope you will be one of them.

    I aim to create a better understanding for the process of the fertility travel and what this contains emotional as practical (broad explained).

    Thus, it would be wonderful to have a skype interview with you, and hopefully also your wife, about your abroad fertility treatment experience. It will take about 1 hour of your life;) Naturally I will make it fit to your everyday life.

    The interview will first be later on this year because I have to do some pre-work first. But if you will state if you and your wife will like to participate already now, it would be wonderful.

    I hope deeply to hear back from you,

    All best Ida Brämer (Contact: Ida_heskjaer@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ida,

      I would be happy to participate in your research for your master thesis. Before I do, I would like to know a little more about you. I do not mind sharing our journey, but since this is very sensitive information for us, I would like to make sure it's not being used maliciously. Please provide me with:

      University name:
      Master's program:
      Professor you are working with:

      Once you disclose this to me, I can give you my personal email address and Skype name.

      Best,
      Anna

      Also - you should be aware that most blogs are written by women (not men) and you should address the bloggers accordingly.

      Delete
  5. Can I ask what the process was in relation to completing the birth certificate? I'm asking because I'm heading to Czech Republic to have donor embryo treatment and I'm using a close male friend to sign off on the documents since the Czech Republic doesn't allow IVF for single parents. We are wondering if his name would have to go on the birth certificate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think you need to worry about this, as you would be having the baby in your home country. You don’t have to put a father on the birth certificate at all, and your doctor won’t even know you used a donor egg unless you tell them. My point is that there is no law in the US (I’m assuming this is where you are from) requiring you to disclose the info.

      Delete