Monday, May 27, 2013

IVF, Europe, and just because.

Where to start?  I've been an absentee blogger as of recent, not for lack of events in my life, but more like a lot of distractions. We visited my husband's family for his youngest sister's high school graduation last weekend. It was wonderful to see everyone but it was an incredibly rushed trip. We pretty much drove all night Friday, saw her graduate on Saturday, and left on Sunday. Got back at 5 in the morning. Fun stuff.

And then there was a puppy picture.


I spent a majority of last week recovering from that and working on school stuff. Oh, I started a psychology course! It's awesome! I love it. I know I'm about 10 years behind everyone else who took this stuff when they were 19, but I'm at a point in my life when I can really enjoy it. I feel like if I had gone to college in my late teens, I'd have used that time to hang out with friends and be rambunctious.  So in a way, I'm blessed to have the opportunity to learn now.. when I know how valuable education is. Having worked that much harder to compete with all the college grads in my life wasn't easy. But whatever, I'm taking one class. Whoopdeedoo.

I posted my blog to pinterest for the first time the other day. I got a bunch of hits from it. I like knowing that people are reading my story. It is a little unnerving tho... Knowing that friends and strangers are peeking into the window of my life.  But I've always been somewhat of an open book. Now that infertility has all but taken over, it's even more so. I've noticed that I'm much more... vocal about things that I probably would not have been pre-IF. But that's the way life is - you grow and change. Sometimes it's for the better and sometimes it's just because. I'm probably somewhere in the land of "just because" at the moment.

Okay onto the important stuff: IVF. Yes, we're really doing it. I had a sneaking suspicion when we started this journey that we'd end up doing IVF. I'm surprisingly at peace with it. We're looking at IVF in the Czech Republic. Now before you go, "huh??" I'll tell you that it's a completely legitimate idea. There are plenty of couples who travel overseas for fertility treatment. It's hella cheaper (think $2,500 for IVF - less meds - to $11,000 - less meds in the US) and the facilities are very modern and on the cutting edge of new technologies. I'm so excited. AND I get to go to Europe!!! Win, win for me!

Of course, DH will be coming with me.. Just, later. I'll have to be there for about 21 days for injections and monitoring and then DH will get there a week later and do his businesses. We're starting to plan for it now. I'm waiting to hear back from the clinic to start the process. We're thinking it'll probably happen sometime between October and January.. depending on when DH can get time off of work and how expensive flights are.

In the mean time, I feel normal. I'm not spending every waking moment wondering if we'll be pregnant this month. I'm at peace with the fact that there's only a 1% chance that we will. And that's fine. It's not great. It's not good. But it's fine. 

4 comments:

  1. Whoa, that sounds exciting! Curious to hear how you picked the Czech?! Definitely a win-win! My family is from Europe and I have been over a ton if you need any travel help, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been on the Resolve Inspire forums? There's a wealth of information and a large group of lovely women who are also dealing with infertility. Well, on that forum is a thread about traveling to Czech for IVF (a majority of those are couples doing donor egg IVF) called Czech Mates.

      Well I started snooping around the threads and couldn't believe how inexpensive (comparatively speaking, of course) IVF is over there! The facilities are cutting edge and you get to travel to Europe to boot.

      So, that's pretty much how I found it. Otherwise, IVF wouldn't be an option to us for at least a year and some change.

      Where in Europe is your family from? I'll definitely keep your help in mind. I don't doubt I'll need it as I've never been to Europe before! :)

      Delete
    2. I have not heard of that, I will have to check it out! Excited for you, what an opportunity and what a blessing it's much more affordable! Most of my family is in the Netherlands and Englands :) Look forward to hearing more!

      Delete
  2. i loved getting all these details from you in person the other day. :) so excited that things are starting to come together for your IVF trip. i know that it had to be hard to read that psych chapter...hopefully you're finished with it now. sounds like you really are coming to a place of peace about all this...so glad for you. and as always, my prayers are following you.

    ReplyDelete